Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Topic 13th October 2010

Sorry to consolidate several posts in one go (dated 13th October) as I will be extremely busy for the week and maybe for the upcoming weeks as well due to my Final Year Project.  It’s been a while since my last post and before this all my post are quite lengthy with some technical information blended together. In fact I hesitate on anyone out there who actually read it. This time I’ll make my posts light and easy. Said that before… As my colleagues had done some interesting job posting pure facts and technical information, today I would post some general issues and nothing much on technical information. (Excuses as to be honest, currently I am lazy to use my brain and hence I wrote down spontaneous thoughts).
Is it myths or fact?
I’ve heard this ever since I was in primary school. Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) has the highest rate of staffs diagnosed to have cancer in Malaysia. They believe that it had something to do with Malaysian Institute of Nuclear Technology (MINT) which is located less than 20km away from UKM. If MINT is emitting substantial amount of radioactive, why didn’t their employees suffer the same consequences? Ask staffs in UKM and their answer would be “people working at MINT are equipped with sufficient protective gears to reduce radioactive exposures while UKM staffs have none of these”. It absolutely makes sense.
But remarkably when you look deep into residential area around MINT (Bandar Baru Bangi, Teras Jernang, Bangi Lama,etc), the statement doesn’t make sense. The numbers of people diagnosed with cancer among these permanent residents are significantly low. They don’t have any protective gears or live in a 1 meter concrete fortress. Maybe electronic devices or any equipments or even the soil in UKM is the source of radiation, which is if you insist to put the blame on radiation.

No comments: